Saturday, September 20, 2014

Turkish Mocha Soap (Warning: Do Not Eat)

On Thursday, I made a new batch of soap using my favorite recipe. It has olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil and mango butter and kaolin clay. I used goat milk instead of water. I have always loved goat milk soap and I was interested in using it in this recipe for the rich color it would add to the soap. When I combined sodium hydroxide (lye) and goat milk, the mixture turned a bright, golden hue. This color will carry over during the process of saponification (the chemical process wherein the oils and the lye react together to make soap) and curing.

I scented the soap with Turkish Mocha fragrance oil from Brambleberry and added about a teaspoon of finely ground coffee beans for exfoliation. So far, I am loving the smells that are coming from my curing shelves. I'm getting vanilla, chocolate, and caramel - yes please!


In addition to receiving color from the goat milk, vanilla from the fragrance oil is adding a richness that I am really loving!

No comments:

Post a Comment