Friday, September 19, 2014

Happy birthday to my little man!

This post comes more than a month after our little guy turned 2. Whatever. This kid brings so much joy and laughter to our lives that I would happily celebrate his 2nd birthday once a month for the next year, and then his 3rd every month after.

We marked the day with a party at Nini's house. My mom, who doesn't give herself enough nearly enough credit, is one of the most hospitable people I know. She worked for weeks trying to get her house and yard "in shape" for the party. (I put quotes around that because I have never seen her house not in tip-top shape. We are all our own worst critics, are we not?) 

Corrie Ruppel, owner of Something Yummy in Round Rock makes all my kids' birthday cakes. Because my little monkey loves bananas, Corrie made a chocolate cake with banana buttercream filling. Danny and all his fellow monkeys, both grown and miniature, went bananas! (Sorry).

Stay tuned for a separate post all about Something Yummy. (Teaser: She doesn't just do cakes...close your eyes and say "macaron.")

Two-tiered chocolate cake with banana buttercream filling, vanilla buttercream icing, and fondant accents by Something Yummy.

I also made little soapy favors for the kids who attended the party - yellow and blue glycerin soaps with little monkey and banana erasers embedded in them. 

I found the monkey and banana erasers at Terra Toys in Austin.
I found the toy erasers at my favorite toy store, Terra Toys. This is one of those privately-owned, independent retailers that make Austin such a cool place to live. They have everything that you won't find on any generic toy aisle at (enter name of box store here). This awesome store was started by a couple of artists who set out to make their own wooden toys and sell them to retailers. Pretty soon, they decided to open up their own store. Now Terra Toys carries a million different types and brands of toys, but they also have a workshop in the back where they make their own as well. Check them out around Christmas time for a line of toys made on site by a pirate hat-wearing Terra Toy employee named Dave and one of the owners.

And he's off!

Hula hoops! Humiliation to me, but I know a few kids who can dominate this.

Magic crystals!

Mommy's best friend - a bubble blowing bear situated at the check-out counter so that I can take care of my business without losing my child.







No comments:

Post a Comment