Monday, September 22, 2014

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

Today, I had a cold and really wanted something to help me feel better, but nobody was around to make it for me. This soup has LOADS of fresh ingredients and layered flavors, but it didn't really require much "thinking" time. Prep time was medium - it takes a minute to peel and scrape out the core of the butternut squash.

I took inspiration from two recipes: Ina Garten (a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa) and Martha Stewart both had recipes that incorporated the flavors that I was looking for - earthy, sweet, savory and spicy. I added a few of my own touches. The cayenne pepper added a lot of heat, so I added more cream and the cinnamon to tame it. My kids still found it too spicy (more for me!), but it was just what I was craving to soothe my sore throat and congested sinuses.

I like to make soup in large batches to save and freeze. Cut this recipe in half if this is too much for you.

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

Ingredients:

1 large butternut squash (mine was about 4 lbs, peeled, pitted and chopped)
2 sweet apples (I used Braeburn, but really just stay away from tart apples)
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
3 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
3 large carrots, coarsely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
Approximately 4 additional cups of water
Approximately 1/2 cup heavy cream

In a large soup pot, heat the oil and saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash and apples and allow to saute with the other vegetables for a few more minutes. Add seasoning and stir. Pour in the stock and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. If you have a stick blender, buzz the soup until smooth. If you don't have one, use a blender - you will need to do this in batches. Once soup is smooth, add cream and stir to mix (do not bring soup to boil after cream is added).



No comments:

Post a Comment